In 1984 the Town Council used the occasion of the centenary of Union Road Bridge to make some improvements in the Torrs, in order to make the area more accessible to the public. The main improvement was the erection of a new wooden footbridge across the River Sett as a public memorial to the late Dr Millward, who had led the campaign for opening up the Torrs in the late 1960s. On 7 June 1984 there was a procession through the town and over Union Road Bridge in re-enactment of the opening celebration held 100 years earlier (to the exact day). The new footbridge was officially opened immediately afterwards. The Millward Bridge provided access to a new path upstream along the River Goyt towards Goytside and thus completed a link with other paths in the Torrs such as the Sett Valley Trail, Goyt Way and Midshires Way. The Millward Bridge stands on the site of a former aqueduct which carried water to the wheel in Torr Mill over the River Sett from a head-race or leat coming from the River Goyt at location 11. This leat followed the line under Church Road Bridge now taken by the new path. Church Road Bridge was originally a two-arched bridge built in 1835 to carry the turnpike road from Newtown to Thornsett and Hayfield over the River Goyt. The lower tier and buttresses were inserted in 1888 to strengthen it; note the datestone above the lower arch on the south side of the bridge. Continue along the path southwards to location 11.