The mill dates from 1794 when it was a small water-powered cotton mill standing at the confluence of the Rivers Goyt and Sett. In the mid-nineteenth century it was extended and converted to a steam-powered five-storey mill. The truncated chimney stands almost out of sight against the rock face. In its later years the mill specialised in the manufacture of 'fustian', a coarse twilled cotton fabric like corduroy. The mill was destroyed by fire in 1912 though several of the walls remain.