New Mills Local History Society


Kelly's Directory of Derbyshire, 1904 --- Entries for Hayfield, New Mills and Newtown




KELLY'S DIRECTORY, 1904 --- ENTRY FOR HAYFIELD,
transcribed by Roger Bryant, January 2014 (mistakes in the original have not been corrected)

HAYFIELD is a township and parish, formed in 1837 from that of Glossop and consisting of the hamlets of Great Hamlet, Phoside and Kinder, in the High Peak division of the county, Buxton and New Mills county court district, hundred of High Peak, petty sessional division of Chapel-en-le-Frith, Hayfield union, rural deanery of Glossop, archdeaconry of Derby and diocese of Southwell. Hayfield is the terminus of a branch line from New Mills on the Great Central railway, 5 miles south from Glossop station, 4 north from Chapel-en-le-Frith, 18 from Manchester, 10 from Buxton, 3 from New Mills and 11 south-east from Stockport: the village, built of stone, has a scattered and bleak appearance, and is about 622 feet above the sea-level, standing on the banks of the Sett, a rapid mountain stream which rises on the western slopes of the Peak. The church of St. Matthew, situated between the Kinder stream and Phoside valley, was originally erected in 1400, and rebuilt in 1818 at a cost of £2,000, and is an edifice of stone in the Early English style, consisting of chancel, nave, aisles, south porch and an embattled western tower with pinnacles, containing a clock and 6 bells: the tower was rebuilt in 1894, and in 1898 the chancel was enlarged and decorated at a cost of £80: there is a monument with bust, by Bacon, to the late Joseph Hague esq. of Park Hall, d. 1786, and others to the Rev. John Badley, curate of Hayfield (1764), and to the Rev. George Buckley Bower B.D. rector of Great Billing, Northants, and archdeacon of Richmond, Yorks (1800): the stained east window was erected in Dec. 1879, by Mrs. Bennett, of Birch house, in memory of her husband; and there are others to the late Levi and Elijah Hall, Mrs. Hall, of Moorlands, and the late Wright Turner esq. (1881): the brass eagle lectern was presented in 1891 by the present incumbent, at a cost of £100, as a memorial to his late wife, who died in 1890: the font, of Caen stone, is a memorial to Henry Clement Rain Walker, d. 1893, and was presented in March, 1899, by his father, Thomas Rain Walker esq. H.M. consul at Honolulu, Sandwich Islands: a brass ewer has been given by Miss B. E. R. Walker, and a new pulpit by C. Bennett esq. at a cost of £100: the church affords 850 sittings, 50 being free: an additional burying ground of 1 acre was bought by a rate and consecrated in 1862: the Rev. John Wesley visited Hayfield and preached in the church in 1755, during the incumbency of Mr. Badley. The register dates from the year 1622. The living is a perpetual curacy, net yearly value £180, in the gift of the resident freeholders, and held since 1877 by the Rev. Ricketts Raymond Ricketts, of St. Bees: a parsonage house was erected in 1864, at a cost of £1,200. There are Wesleyan, Primitive Methodist and United Methodist chapels, and Liberal and Conservative clubs. The facilities for manufacture, owing to the abundance of water, are very considerable, and two extensive calico-printing works are carried on, besides the print works at Birch Vale, a mile south: there are also two paper mills at Bank Vale, and a cotton mill at Little Hayfield: formerly a good deal of twine, locally known as "bant", was made here: twice a year a shepherds' meeting is held, when the various sheep marks are agreed upon and strayed sheep exchanged: fairs for cattle are held here May 12th and October 10th. The charities amount to £23 yearly for clothing, chiefly by the gift of the late Joseph Hague esq. of Park Hall (1778): prior to 1820 the poor had a right of turfery on "Old Pits", a plot of 40 acres on Leygate Moor. Due south of Hayfield lies Chinley Tor, a steep and rugged mountain, 1,493 feet high, commanding fine views over the valley of the Goyt and the adjacent summit of Eccles Pike (1,225 feet) southwards; to the west lie Whaley Moor (1,347 feet) and Sponds Hill (1,357 feet); northwards there is an extensive prospect over Disley, Poynton Park and the plains of Cheshire: this district is believed to have been at one time in Roman occupation, and some coins of the 8th century have been found on the Doctor's road, near Bowden Bridge, one part of which road was paved: previously to 1830, the flat piece of ground near the Kinder Print Works was common land, and known as "Cutlers' Green", cutlery having, it is said, been made here before its manufacture was known in Sheffield; halfway between this spot and Hayfield is the Whitworth well, famous for its curative properties. The village, from its peculiar situation, has always been liable to floods, one of which, in 1748, destroyed some lives, several water mills and part of the churchyard; in August, 1799, the bridge was washed away, and in 1809 a number of buildings; again, on the 16th June, 1858, the torrent tore up the mill weir and carried away the backs of four houses abutting on the stream. By an ancient custom Hayfield had the privilege of electing a mayor, an office which the late John Hobson esq. filled for thirty years: Joseph Bowden esq. was elected mayor of Hayfield in 1844. Park Hall, 1 mile north from Hayfield, an ancient building of white brick, surrounded by a park of considerable extent, is now used as a holiday home by the Co-operative Holiday Association, and much frequented by excursion and touring parties: it was formerly the abode of the late Joseph Hague, a generous benefactor to this neighbourhood, who began life by selling small articles from a basket, and subsequently went to London, where in course of time he became an opulent merchant; he died at Park Hall on the 12th March, 1786, and was buried at Glossop. The Duke of Devonshire K.G., P.C. is lord of the manor; Francis J. Sumner esq. of Eathorpe Park, Leamington, Warwick, and James Watts, of Abney Hall, Cheadle, are the principal landowners. The area of the civil parish is 7,901 acres of land and 19 of water; rateable value, £13,430; the population of the township of Hayfield in 1901 was 2,614.
Highgate Head and Oaklands are places in the parish.
Verger, Thomas Turner.
Post, M. O. & T. O., T. M. O., E. D., P. P., S. B. & A. & I. Office.---Arthur Howard Lowe, sub-postmaster. Letters are received through Stockport at 6.50 a.m. & 3.30 p.m.; dispatched at 8.15 a.m. & 3 & 7.15 p.m.; on sundays arrive at 6.25 a.m.; dispatched at 7.20 p.m
HAYFIELD RURAL DISTRICT COUNCIL.
Meets at Hayfield & Marple Bridge, monthly.
Chairman, W. Jowett, Mansion house, Mellor, Stockport
Clerk, Joseph Rose Bowden, High street, New Mills
Treasurer, Henry Barber, Manchester & County Bank, New Mills
Medical Officer of Health, Charles John Bennet M.R.C.S.Eng. 10 Hardwick street, Buxton
Sanitary Inspector, Joseph Marsland, Mellor
HAYFIELD UNION.
Board day, monday, fortnightly.
Hayfield Union comprises the following places:---Disley (Cheshire), Hayfield, Mellor, New Mills & Newtown. The population of the union in 1901 was 14,437; area, 17,952 acres; rateable value in 1903, £70,793 4s
Chairman of the Board of Guardians, J. T. Gee, Ashes, Kinder, Stockport
Clerk to the Guardians & Assessment Committee, Arthur Walker, Spring bank, New Mills
Treasurer, Henry Barber, Manchester & County Bank, New Mills
Relieving & Vaccination Officer, Thomas Mower, New Mills
Medical Officer & Public Vaccinator, James Edwin Anderton L.R.C.P.Edin. Spring bank, New Mills
Superintendent Registrar, Arthur Walker, Spring bank, New Mills; deputy, Thomas Slater, New Mills
Registrar of Births, Deaths & Marriages, William Wild, New Mills; deputy, A. Grundey, New Mills
Workhouse, Low Leighton, a building of stone, built in 1840, to hold 96 inmates, & enlarged at a cost of £6,460; Richard Reynolds, master; J. E. Anderton L.R.C.P.Edin. New Mills, medical officer; Mrs. B. E. Reynolds, matron
Schools.
Public Elementary (mixed & infants), built in 1888 & enlarged in 1900, for 250 children; average attendance, 230; Arnold Walker, master; Miss Hayes. infants' mist
Public Elementary (mixed & infants), erected in 1830 & enlarged in 1879, for 290 children; average attendance, 194; Ernest Butterworth, master; Miss Isabella Balford, infants' mistress
Railway Station, William Procter, station master
BIRCH VALE is a village, 2 miles east from New Mills, 1 mile west from Hayfield, with a station on the Great Central and Midland railways: calico printing is carried on here very extensively, and there are also quarries producing paving sets and wall stones, besides coal pits. Here is a Free Methodist chapel.
Post, M. O. & T. O., T. M. O., E. D., P. P., S. B. & A. & I. Office.---Arthur Hirst, sub-postmaster. Letters through Stockport arrive at 6.40 a.m. & 3.15 p.m. & are dispatched thereto at 8.15 a.m. & 3.15 & 7.15 p.m.; sunday, 7.30 p.m
Railway Station, James Ryley, station master
LITTLE HAYFIELD is a hamlet three-quarters of a mile north of Hayfield, with a cotton mill, color and pigment works, and a Primitive Methodist chapel, built in 1851; there are sittings for 200 persons, 70 being free.
Post Office.---Samuel Bowden, sub-postmaster. Letters delivered through Stockport, via Hayfield, 6.55 a.m. & 3.35 p.m.; dispatched thereto, 6.45 p.m. No sunday dispatch. Postal Orders to the value of 20s. paid. The nearest money order & telegraph office is at Hayfield, 1 mile distant
HAYFIELD.
PRIVATE RESIDENTS.
Arblaster Charles A., L.R.C.P.Edin
Ashurst Frederick M.B., C.M
Bennett Frederick, The Heys
Bennett John, Holly house
Bowden James, Sude house
Butterworth Ernest, Spring villas
Hadfield James, Swallow house
Hadfield John, Highgate house
Hill John Pearson, South view
Leech Robert, Spring villas
Marshall Mrs. Ridge view
Ricketts Rev. Ricketts Raymond, Parsonage
Slack Norman, Oaklands
Walker Arnold, Spring villas
Walton Mrs. The Mount
Waterhouse Mrs. Fishers lodge
Waterhouse Mrs. Netherend villas
Wimpenny Abel Buckley, Oak villa
Youatt William, Netherend villas
COMMERCIAL.
Allcroft Thomas, George hotel
Arblaster Charles A., L.R.C.P. & L.R.C.S.Edin. surgeon
Ashurst Frdk. M.B., C.M.Glas. surgn
Bennett James, butcher, Church st
Bennett James E. ironmonger
Bennett James T. stone merchant, Birches quarry
Bennett Robert, blacksmith
Booth William, clogger, Market st
Bowden Samuel, clerk to the Parish Council
Bowden Joseph, cashier to the Hayfield print works
Bradbury Mary (Mrs.), greengrocer, Church street
Bradbury Thomas, general dealer
Bramwell John, saddler
Brennand Herbert, confectioner
Brennand William, baker & confectnr
Brocklehurst Wright, grcr. & druggst
Brown Wm. Brittain, Bull's Head P.H
Chambers John, farmer
Chatterton John Thos. drpr. High st
Conservative Club (Robt. Leech, sec)
Cooper Charles, farmer, Cote lane
Cooper Isabella (Miss), draper
Co-operative Stores (Robert Barber, manager)
Digby Joseph, beer retailer
Ford Joseph, Bridge inn
Garlick William, beer retailer
Garrett James, farmer
Garside Luke, stationer & tobacconst
Gee John Fox, clerk to Education Committee
Gee Joseph, joiner
Goddard Alfd. tax collr. Spring villas
Goodwin Thomas, beer retailer
Green Charles, beer retailer
Green Thomas, confectioner
Greenwood Thomas, butcher
Hadfield Benj. slater & plasterer
Hadfield Joel, builder & contractor, see Mason & Hadfield
Hallam Edward Montague, farmer
Hayfield Coal Co. (John Brocklehurst, sec)
Hayfield Gas Works (John Brocklehurst, sec)
Hayfield Printing Co. (branch of the Calico Printers' Association Lim.) (Abel Buckley Wimpenny, manager)
Hill Walter, apartments
Hobson Percy, coal mer. Station yard
Hudson Elizabeth Ann (Mrs.), confr
Johnson William, shopkeeper
Large William H. refreshment rooms
Lathams Limited, grocers, Church st
Lee Prudence, shopkeeper
Liberal Club (Isaac Bowden, sec)
Lister Mary (Mrs.), boot dealer
Livesley Alfred & Son, pharm. chmsts
Lomas Mary (Mrs.), Railway inn
Lowe Arth. Howard, stationer, Post off
Lowe Joseph, farmer, Shude hill
Lowe Kate (Mrs.), stationer, Bridge end
Manchester & County Bank Limited (sub-branch) ( open daily from 10 a.m. till 3 p.m.; sat. 10 a.m. to 12 p.m.); draw on Union of London & Smiths Bank Lim. London E C
Marshall Hannah & Martha Ann (Misses), dress makers
Mason & Hadfield, builders & cntrctrs
Mason Edwin, ironmonger
Mason Thomas, stone dealer
Massey Charles, grocer
Moseley John Edward, boot maker
Ollerenshaw Annie (Mrs.), apartmts. Grotto house
Ollerenshaw Sarah (Mrs.), grocer
Porritt Albert, farmer
Porritt Charles, butcher
Porritt James C. butcher
Porritt William, draper, joiner & wheelwright
Procter William, station master
Pursglove Benjamin, greengrocer
Rangeley Ernest, boot maker
Robinson George, Pack Horse inn
Rose John, farmer, Shudehill
Rowbottom Jn. Charles, monumental mason, Park view & Bridge inn
Schofield Joseph, tinplate worker
Shaw Alfred, refreshment rooms
Shepley James, coal & coke merchant, Station yard
Shepley Jas. painter & apartments
Shepley James, cab proprietor
Slack John, paper manufacturer, Bank Vale mills
Smith Thomas, grocer & draper
Smyth Aaron James & Co. tailors & outfitters
Swindells Henry, boot maker
Thompson G. A. Royal hotel
Torkington John, farmer
Torkington John, pork butcher
Turner Elizabeth (Miss), fruiterer & fishmonger
Turner George, cooper
Walton Josiah, grocer
Warburton Bertram, hair dresser
Waterhouse Rebecca (Mrs.), aprtmnts
Waterhouse William, grocer
Whitehead William, confectioner
Wilson Arthur, wheelwright
Wimpenny Abel Buckley, manager of the Hayfield Printing Co. Limited, Oak villa
LITTLE HAYFIELD.
COMMERCIAL.
Bennett John & Co. pigment & color manufacturers, Primrose vale
Bowden Samuel, grocer & post office
Bowden Tom, farmer & steward to F. J. Sumner esq. Little Hayfield ho
Bradbury Saml. farmer, Cliffe bank
Burgess George, farmer, Matley moor
Co-operative Holiday Association (Thomas Arthur Leonard, sec.); holiday home, Park hall
Etchells Israel Smith, farmer, Spray ho
Goddard Esther (Mrs.), farmer
Hadfield Randal, frmr. Brown Hill frm
Hearsum David, farmer, Blackshaw
Hearsum John, farmer, Brookhouses
Hibbert Thomas, farmer, Brookhouse
Hobson James, farmer, Ivy farm
Hudson Isaac, New inn, & joiner
Joyce Martha (Mrs.), beer retailer
Marriott Francis, farmer
Marsland Ben, farmer, High barn
Flatt Edward Limited, cotton manufacturers (E. Osbaldeston, manager)
Rose Isaac, farmer, Knars
Simpson Joseph, frmr. Tom Hayes fm
Waterhouse Isaac, farmer, Lane head
Wild James, grocer
KINDER.
Downs John, Rock hall
Hesketh William T. Stones house
Killett James, Farlands
Kirkland John, Kinder bank
COMMERCIAL.
Barnes Herbert Squire, cashier to Water Works, Bowden Bridge
Barnes Samuel, gamekeeper to James Watts esq
Bennett Thomas (Mrs.), farmer, Tunsted clough
Bradbury Edmd. frmr. Coldwll. clough
Bradbury Thomas E. frmr. South head
Downs John, stone dealer, Rock hall
Gee John Thomas, farmer & auctioneer, Ashes
Hackett Mary (Mrs.), shopkeeper
Hall Squire (exors. of), stone dealer
Hall Thomas H. Sportsman inn
Hancock John & Sons, grocers
Marriott Samuel, farmer, Hill house
Marriott John Thomas, farmer & gamekeeper to James Watts esq. Upper house
Ripley Jas. farmer, Hill House farm
Rutter Joseph, farmer, Booth
Stockport Corporation Water Supply Co. (Herbert Squire Barnes, cashr)
Wardle Bros. stone dlrs. Ellerbank
PHOSIDE.
Balsford Joseph, farmer, New house
Barnes Arthur, farmer, Far Phoside
Bennett John P. farmer, Hills farm
Brocklehurst Eli Adam, frmr. Ridge top
Brocklehurst Squire, frmr. Lit. Ridge
Cooper James, farmer, Chinley head
Cooper John, farmer, Highgate Head
Green James, farmer, Stubbs
Hadfield Eli, farmer
Hadfield Thomas, farmer, Highgate
Hudson Joseph, frmr. Clough head
Jepson Charles, farmer, Ridge top
Marriott Saml. farmer, Chinley Head
Mason Edwin, joiner, Phoside view
Mason Thomas, quarry owner, Chinley Moor house
Moorcroft Jn. farmer, Chinley Moor
Morton John, farmer, Heys
Ollerenshaw Wm. farmer, Barnesfold
Porritt Albert, carpenter & farmer
Porritt John, farmer, Ridge Top lane
Porritt Ralph, farmer, Hazelhurst
BIRCH VALE.
Beck Frederick, Fair view
Bennett Joseph, Westwood
Bennett Miss, Meadow nook
Bennett Thomas J.P. Birch Vale ho
Hall Misses, Moorland house
Holland Alexander, Netherhey
Jeens A. J. Higher cliffe
Leonard Thomas Arthur, Heathfield
Smyth John, Hill bank
Spencer Mrs. Sunnyside
Turner Mrs. John, Spring villas
Wilks Capt. James, Mount villas
Wyatt Walter, Birch Vale crescent
COMMERCIAL.
Ashton Isaac, farmer, Ravensleach
Barker Thomas B. Birch Hall inn
Barker William, farmer, Aspinshaw
Beard Albert, butcher
Bennett Jn. & Sons Lim. calico printrs
Bennett James Thomas, stone dealer
Burgess George, farmer, Hext farm
Burgess Geo. farmer, Thackstop farm
Chapman Wm. L.R.C.P. & S.Edin., L.F.P. & S.Glas. surgeon
Clayton James, Grouse inn
Hall Charles, greengrocer
Hampson Jn. M. coal mer. Railway yd
Hawton Augustus Wm. Sycamore inn
Hibbert Geo. Hy. frmr. Lower cliffe
Hirst Arthur, grocer, Post office
Hudson Joseph, builders' merchant
Johnson Levi, farmer, Highwalls
Leonard Thomas Arthur, secretary to Co-operative Holiday Home
Lowe John & Son, coal merchants, Railway yard
Mellor Thomas, joiner
Moseley Rbt. Arth. frmr. Coldharbour
New Mills Coal Co. (Norman Hyde, proprietor), Railway yard
Ramwell Samuel, shoe maker
Rumney William & Co. Lim. calico printers (firm, Jn. Bennett & Sons Lim. & William R. & Co. Limited)
Ryley James, station master
Walton Jesse, shopkeeper
Wardle James, farmer, Birch hall
Wyatt Walter, drapers & grocers

KELLY'S DIRECTORY, 1904 --- ENTRY FOR NEW MILLS,
transcribed by Roger Bryant, January 2014 (mistakes in the original have not been corrected)

NEW MILLS, originally called "Bowden Middle Cale", derives its present name from a corn mill built upon the Kinder, in the district of Ollersett; it is a township and parish, formed in 1884 from Glossop parish, and comprising the districts of Beard, Ollersett, Thornsett and Whitle, in the High Peak division of the county, hundred of High Peak, Hayfield union, Chapel-en-le-Frith petty sessional division and county court district, rural deanery of Glossop, archdeaconry of Derby and diocese of Southwell; it formerly comprised seven hamlets, but has been divided, three of the hamlets being attached to Hayfield, and the remaining four now forming the township and parish. New Mills is a town on the river Goyt, 7 1/2 miles south-west from Glossop, 8 south-east from Stockport, 170 from London by road, and by railway, St. Pancras 173, Euston 192 miles. The London and North Western and Midland railways have stations here, and there is a branch line from the latter to Hayfield.
It was under the control of a Local Board from 1875, but under the provisions of the "Local Government Act, 1894" (56 and 57 Vict. c. 73), an Urban District Council is now the governing authority. The Urban District comprises the new parish of Newtown, formed from Disley in Cheshire under the provisions of the "Local Government Act, 1894". The Urban District is divided into six wards.
The parish is lighted with gas from works the property of the Urban District Council.
The church of St. George, locally in the township of Beard, was erected in 1831, and is a building of stone, in the Pointed style, consisting of chancel, nave, aisles, south and west porches, and an embattled western tower with pinnacles and spire, containing 8 bells, presented in 1898 by James Hibbert esq. J.P. who also in 1901 gave two additional bells: the stained east window was presented by Mrs. John Mackie; and there are several other memorial windows, also a monument to James Ingham esq. J.P. (1868), and a brass to his widow (September, 1875): the font is a memorial to John Taylor esq. J.P. and the lectern was given by the parishioners, as a memorial to the wife of the present vicar: the church was renovated in 1897 and affords 850 sittings, 350 being free. The register dates from the year 1831 and is in good condition. The living is a vicarage, net yearly value £300, with residence, in the gift of the vicar of Glossop, and held since 1900 by the Rev. John Lionel Knowles M.A. of Pembroke College, Cambridge. The church of St. James the Less, a chapel of ease to St. George's, a building in the Lancet style of the 13th century, was erected in 1880-1, at a cost of £2,750, by John Mackie esq. of Crigglestone, Yorks, and New Mills, and Mary, his wife, together with the almshouses adjoining, as a memorial to James Ingham esq. and Martha, his wife, the parents of Mrs. Mackie, formerly resident at New Mills, and consists of apsidal chancel and nave, north porch, organ chamber and vestry, and western turret containing one bell: in the apse are three stained windows, and at the west end is another, presented by Mr. and Mrs. Mackie: the pulpit and font are of carved stone: the communion plate and linen were given by the parishioners and the brass lectern by the late R. B. Mackie esq. M.P. and his daughter Edith: there are 150 sittings. The Catholic church, dedicated to St. Mary, and erected in 1846, is a building of stone, in the Early English style, consisting of chancel, nave, aisles and a western tower with spire, containing one bell: an altar has been erected by Dennis Lane esq. of London. The Wesleyan chapel, St. George's road, was erected about 1810, and has an attached cemetery; the Primitive Methodist chapel, Spring Bank, was built in 1876; and the Free Methodist chapel, Spring Bank, built in 1838, was rebuilt in 1892. The almshouses, six in number, erected from the designs of Mr. W. Swinden Barber F.R.I.B.A. are built on three sides of a quadrangular plot of land near Spring Bank, in New Mills; the dwellings occupying the north and a portion of the east side of a quadrangle, the west and south sides of which are appropriated to the church; they are occupied by 11 poor and aged persons, who receive a weekly allowance from Mrs. Mackie. The Public Hall, erected in 1871, at a cost of £2,500, was opened in the same year by the late Duke of Devonshire K.G., P.C.: a tower was added in 1875, and a clock with chimes presented by the late Mrs. Ingham, of Watford Villa: the lower rooms are divided into offices and board room: the Savings Bank also occupies a room here, which is open on Saturdays from 5 p.m. to 7 p.m.: the general management of the building is now in the hands of the local authority. The hall was extended in 1898-9, at a total cost of £1,750, and a Free Library added, at a cost of £500, the gift of James Hibbert esq. J.P.; the library contains 6,000 volumes. A county court is held here alternately with Buxton and Chapel-en-le-Frith, on Mondays. Cattle fairs are held on May 11th and October 7th. Here are iron and brass foundries, calico printing and bleach works, cotton spinning, cotton band manufactories and emery and glass cloth works. The drinking fountain in front of the Public Hall was erected in 1892 as a memorial to John Mackie esq. The late James Ingham esq. of Watford Villa, left £500 in 1868, the interest of which is applied to the education and clothing of poor children in the township; Trickett's charity consists of the rent of a farm at Sparrowpit, near Chapel-en-le-Frith, now (1904) let for £24 per year, which sum is in part distributed in clothing to poor persons and also applied to education of the children of the parish. The principal landowners are Earl Egerton of Tatton and Francis John Sumner esq. of Park Hall, Hayfield. The soil is clay; subsoil, clay. The area of the civil parish is 5,040 acres of land and 38 of water; rateable value, £28,097; the population in 1891 was 5,498, and, in 1901, 6,253, including 4 officials and 55 inmates of Hayfield Workhouse.
The area of the Urban District is 5,204 acres; rateable value, £34,185; the population in 1891 was 6,661, and in 1901, 7,773. The population of wards in 1901 was:--- Beard and Ollersett, 1,742; Central, 1,247; Newtown, 1,520, St. James, 1,087; St. Mary, 1,301; Thornsett, 876.
High Lee, Lady Shaw Bottom and Watford are places in the parish.
BEARD, half a mile south of New Mills, and 3 miles west of Hayfield, forms part of Beard and Ollersett Ward in New Mills Urban District, which also includes Low Leighton. Here are candlewick mills, chemical works, an iron and brass foundry and quarries producing paving setts; the Midland Railway Company has also a goods yard. F. J. Sumner esq. J.P. is the principal landowner.
OLLERSETT, 1 mile south-west from New Mills and 2 west from Hayfield, consists principally of scattered farms and some villa residences. Birch Vale station adjoins this place. F. J. Sumner esq. J.P. of Park Hall, is the principal landowner.
LOW LEIGHTON is 1 mile south from New Mills and 3 west from Hayfield. Here is the workhouse of the Hayfield union. There is also a meeting house for the Society of Friends, built in 1717, with a small cemetery attached.
WHITLE, 1 mile north-east from New Mills, consists of scattered farms and villa residences, and commands a fine view of the adjacent scenery. It is included in St. James' Ward of the Urban District. In the valley are bleach works. Fern Bank is the residence of James Hibbert esq. J.P. and Watford Villa that of Mrs. Mackie. Here is a Congregational chapel, built in 1823, seating 450.
Letters through New Mills arrive at 9.30 a.m. & 3.30 p.m
HAGUE BAR is included in St. Mary's Ward of the Urban District, and is 1 mile west from New Mills, 1 east from Strines station and 3 east from Marple.
Brookbottom is a place half a mile north-east from Hague Bar. The Primitive Methodist chapel, built in 1874, will seat 200 persons. Lower Cliffe is a place 1 mile north-west from Hague Bar.
STRINES is 1 mile by rail and 2 by road westward from New Mills and 2 east from Marple, with a station on the Sheffield and Midland railway. It is included in the St. Mary's Ward of the Urban District. Calico printing is carried on here very extensively, and the place is much frequented by picnic and pleasure parties from the adjacent large towns.
Railway Station, John Farrar, station master
THORNSETT with Rowarth forms the Thornsett Ward of the Urban District of New Mills. Thornsett is 1 1/2 miles north-east from New Mills and half a mile west from Birch Vale station. St. Luke's Mission room, dedicated by the Bishop of Derby in 1903, will seat 175; there is also a Primitive Methodist chapel, built in 1903, and a Congregational chapel, built in 1862, with 300 sittings. Letters through Stockport, via Birch Vale.
ROWARTH, 2 miles east from Mellor and 3 north-east from New Mills, consists principally of scattered farms. The United Methodist Free Church have a chapel here.
Post, M. O. & T. O., T. M. O., E. D., P. P., S. B. & A. & I. Office.---George H. Bailey, sub-postmaster. Letters are received via Stockport; delivered at 7 a.m. & 3.30 p.m.; dispatched at 9.30 & 10.45 a.m. & 12.15, 3.30 & 7.45 p.m.; on sundays at 7.30 p.m. Money orders are granted & paid from 8 a.m. till 8 p.m
Post Office, Low Leighton.---John Howard, sub-postmaster. Letters through Stockport, via New Mills, arrive at 8.30 a.m. & 3.30 p.m.; dispatched at 9.30 a.m. & 6.30 p.m. Postal Orders are issued & paid here. New Mills, 1 mile distant, is the nearest money order & telegraph office
Post Office, Rowarth.---Thomas Waterhouse, sub-postmaster. Letters are received via Stockport & delivered by foot messenger from Marple bridge; dispatched 7 a.m. & 6 p.m.; sunday, 8.15 a.m. Postal Orders are issued & paid here. Birch Vale is the nearest money order & telegraph office, 3 miles distant
Post Office, Strines.---James Stafford, sub-postmaster. Letters are received via Stockport about 6 a.m. & dispatched from New Mills at 3.55 & 7.25 p.m.; sunday, 7.45 p.m. Postal orders are issued & paid here. Disley is the nearest money order & telegraph office, 2 miles distant. Parcels & letters are dispatched from here at 4.10 p.m
Wall Letter Boxes, Bridge street, cleared at 10.15 a.m. & 7.25 p.m.; Cavendish square, cleared at 10.20 a.m. & 7.30 p.m.; Rowarth, cleared at 7 a.m. & 6.30 p.m. week days only
COUNTY MAGISTRATES for New Mills Sub-Division of Chapel-en-le-Frith Petty Sessional Division.
Bennett Thomas esq. Birch Vale house, near Stockport
Carver Thomas esq. The Hollins, Marple, Stockport
Hibbert James esq. Fern Bank, New Mills, Stockport
Hodgkinson Samuel esq. Poise house, Tokington, Cheshire
Rumney William Edward esq. Watford lodge, New Mills, Stockport
Turner Lieut.-Col. Henry, Cale Green, Stockport
Wainwright Joel esq. Ludworth, Marple Bridge, Stockport
Clerk to the Magistrates, John Burton Boycott, Public Hall, New Mills & Chapel-en-le-Frith
Petty sessions are held in the Public Hall monthly, on wednesdays at 10.30 a.m. with an occasional court when required
URBAN DISTRICT COUNCIL.
Offices, Public Hall.
Council meetings first & third wed. in month at 7 p.m.
Chairman, Charles B. Billinge.
Vice-Chairman, John T. Scattergood.
Central Ward.
Charles B. Billinge ..... Retire April 1905
Timothy Livesley ..... Retire April 1907
St. James' Ward.
John Cochrane ..... 1905
Samuel Stafford ..... 1907
St. Mary's Ward.
John T. Wharmby ..... 1905
Seth Evans ..... 1906
Beard & Ollersett Ward.
Samuel Whitehead ..... 1906
Jn. Thos. Scattergood ..... 1907
Newtown Ward.
Daniel Wood ..... 1906
Alfred W. Lowe ..... 1907
Thornsett Ward.
Jas. John Hadfield ..... 1905
Isaac Hill ..... 1906
Officers.
Clerk, Joseph Pollitt, Public hall
Treasurer, Henry Barber, Spring Bank
Medical Officer of Health, James Edwin Anderton L.R.C.P Edin. Thornfield
Surveyor, William Curwen Sheard, Public hall
Sanitary Inspector & Inspector of Canal Boats, William Curwen Sheard, Public hall
Collector, George Platt, 24 Union road
Gas Manager, John Ronald Mackenzie
PUBLIC ESTABLISHMENTS.
County Court, Public hall, held alternately with Buxton & Chapel-en-le-Frith; for places in the district, see Chapel-en-le-Frith
County Police Station, Hall street, Hy. Burgess, inspectr
Free Library, Public hall, Miss Emma Stafford, librarian
Public Hall, Joseph Pollitt, sec
Victoria Market Hall, 32 Market street
PUBLIC OFFICERS.
Assistant Overseer, Edward Parsons, Market street
Certifying Factory Surgeon, James Edwin Anderton L.R.C.P.Edin. Thornfield
Clerk to the Guardians & Assessment Committee of Hayfield Union & Superintendent Registrar of Hayfield District, Arthur Walker, 4 Spring Bank
Inspector of County Police, Henry Burgess
Medical Officer & Public Vaccinator, Hayfield Union, James Edwin Anderton L.R.C.P.Edin., M.R.C.S.Eng. Thornfield
Registrar of Births, Deaths & Marriages for Hayfield Sub-District, William Wild, Public hall; deputy, Abel Grundy, Market street
Relieving Officer for Hayfield Union, Thomas Mower, 45 Market street
PUBLIC ELEMENTARY SCHOOLS.
Spring Bank (mixed), erected in 1878, at a cost, inclusive of site, of £2,260, & enlarged in 1890 for the purposes of a technical school, including a chemical laboratory for 80 students: in 1891 it was organised as a science day school, & is now (1904) a county district secondary school, receiving 15 free scholarships annually from the County Council: in 1895 technical class rooms were added, & a library of 200 volumes, given by Mrs. Mackie, of Watford villa, & new laboratories, a room for experimental dyeing & printing & rooms for an elementary department were added in 1899: the school will hold 620 children; average attendance, 320; John A. Nichols, master; Miss L. E. Peck, mistress
A new Infants' school was erected in 1901 at a cost of £2,700, for 250 children; average attendance, 115; Miss L. E. Peck, mistress
National, School lane (mixed), built in 1863, for 300 children; average attendance, 265; Samuel Whitehead, master
Hague Bar, erected in 1878, for 130 children, & enlarged in 1893, for 66 more; average attendance, 123; Arthur Wallwork, master
Thornsett (mixed), erected in 1878, for 300 children; average attendance, 252; John Wm. Skelton, master
Catholic, erected in 1860, for 35 boys, 35 girls & 10 infants; average attendance, 45 boys, 27 girls & 23 infants; Miss Calahan, mistress
Railway Station, Thomas Bark, station master
Carrier to Stockport, James Beard, Torr top, wed. & fri.
PRIVATE RESIDENTS.
(N.B.---Letters for Rowarth & Strines are received direct from Stockport.)
Anderton James Edwin, Thornfield, Spring bank
Arnfield Edwin, Springfield villa, Spring bank
Arnfield Mrs. High Lea hall
Arnfield Thomas Owen, Rock cottage, High lee
Barber Henry J.P. Spring Bank
Barratt Walt. Bridge mount, Strines
Beard George T. Ivy bank, Strines
Beeston Rev. Arthur Thos. (curate), Ollersett
Boughey Thomas, Hall street
Bowden Joseph Rose, Spring villa
Brayne John William, 36 Market st
Bridge John Gregory, Beard
Bridge Miss, Ollersett cottage
Broadbent Edwin Joseph, Rock villa, High Lee
Campbell Peter, Glengarry, Strines
Campbell Walter, St. George's road
Chapman Wm. L.R.C.P.Edin. Rock vil
Clayton Frank, Strines
Cochrane Jn. Springfield, Spring Bk
Craddock Alfred, White ho. Rowarth
Cuff John, The Cottage, Strines
Edmundson Rev. William Duncan (Congregational), The Manse, Whitle
Frost Edward, The Rocks
Gray John Campbell, Glengogt, Strines
Hadfield James John, Ollersett
Hadfield Thomas, Ollersett
Hallowell Geo. Noble, Ladyshaw ho
Hartley Samuel J. Eyre, Holly bank
Hibbert James J.P. Fern Bank
Hickey Mrs. John, Anderton house, Rowarth
Higginbottom Charles, Ollersett
Higginbottom Edwin, Quarry bank
Higginbottom George, Spring villa, Spring Bank
Higginbottom John, High Lee
Higginbottom Wm. Glen wood, Strines
Hill James, Lily bank, Spring Bank
Hill Wm. Fras. Peak ho. Spring Bnk
Hudson Chas. Highfield, Low Leightn
Jackson Henry, Hall street
Knowles Rev. John Lionel M.A. (vicar), New Mills vicarage, Beard
Livesley Alfred, Chapel house, St. George's road
Longson John, Church road, Beard
McArthur Alexander, Ivy Bank, Strines
McKenna Rev. William C. (Catholic), High Lee
Mackenzie John Ronald, Stanley mnt
Mackie Mrs. Watford villa, Whitle
Medcalf Charles, Castle hill
Micklethwaite Rev. William S. (United Free Meth.), Hillside, Hall street
Nicholls John A. Stanley mount
Nicholson Rev. Robert (Wesleyan), Wesley mount, Spring Bank
Pollard James, Lea Bank
Pollitt Joseph, Rose villa, Hall street
Pollitt Mrs. Margaret, High Lee
Porritt Walter, Church road, Beard
Purssglove, 36 High street
Rumney Mrs. Fern bank, Whitle
Rumney Wm. Edw. J.P. Watford ldg
Slack Clifford, Eskdale, Strines
Thornley Richard, St. George's road
Walker Arthur, High Lee
Warren Thomas, Beech house, Beard
Wharmby James, Carlton villa
Wharmby Jn. Thos. Stanley mount
Wild William, Springfield house
Wright Mrs. Bank cot. Lark's hill
Wyatt Mrs. Chapel street
Wyatt John Henry, Pleasant view, Ollersett
Wyatt John S. Lea Bank
Yates Edward, Hall street
Yearsley Rev. Joseph (Prim. Meth.), Spring mount, Spring Bank
COMMERCIAL.
Early closing day, Wednesday 1 p.m.
Marked thus * receive letters from Stockport, via Birch Vale.
Alexander James, Bull's Head P.H. 93 High street
Allen John William, fancy draper, 68 Market street
Alsop & Clayton, painters, 80 Market street
Anderton James Edwin L.R.C.P.Edin., M.R.C.S.Eng. surgeon & medical officer of health to New Mills Urban District Council, & medical officer & public vaccinator for Hayfield union, & certifying factory surgeon for the whole of the district, Thornfield
Andrew Elizabeth (Mrs.), Masons' Arms P.H. High street
Arnfield Jsph. & Edwin, millwghts. & engnrs. Globe iron wks
Arnfield Eliza (Miss), dress maker, Daisy bank
Arnfield Isaac, grocer, Bridge street
Ashworth A. & A. (Misses), drapers & dress makers, 38 Market street
* Ashworth Arthur, farmer & shopkeeper, Thornsett
Ashworth George, fried fish dealer, 83 High street
Ashworth Squire, farmer, Whitefold, Whitle
Bagshaw Jsph. & Co. manufacturing ironmngrs. 43 Market st
Bailey George Henry, printer & stationer, & post office, 62 Market street
Barber Henry, manager of the Manchester & County Branch Bank, actuary to the Savings Bank & treasurer to the Urban District Council, agent to the Royal Fire Insurance Co. Spring Bank
Barber Thomas, painter, 42 High street
Bark Thomas, station master, Railway station
* Barker William, farmer, Aspenshaw farm, Thornsett
Barlow James, farmer, Rowarth
Bates Arthur, music warehouse, 6 Union road
Beard James, carrier, Torr Topp
Beard John, farmer, Rowarth
Beard Samuel, shopkeeper, 93 High street
Bearwood Israel, baker, Brown Brow, Beard
Bennett, Boycott, Orme & Goodman, solicitors, Public hall
Bennett Clara (Mrs.), beer retailer, Rock street
* Bennett Isaac, farmer, Bankhead farm, Thornsett
* Bennett Robert, farmer, Thornsett Fields
Bennett Squire, grocer, Hague Bar
Bennett William, farmer, Appletre, Whitle
* Bennett William, farmer, Briargrove farm, Thornsett
Beresford Samuel Henry, greengrocer, 15 High street
Berry Elizabeth (Mrs.), shopkeeper, 13 Spring bank
Beverley James, farmer, Knarsnook, Rowarth
Beverley John, farmer, Lark's hill
Beverley John Peter, boot & shoe dealer, 15 Union road
Birtwhistle James, fried fish dealer, 72 Market street
Boardman Alfred, draper, 23 Union road
Booth Joseph Edwin, St. Alban's P.H. Torr Top street
Booth Walter, tailor, 31 Market street
Bowker Frederick, farmer, Ringstones, Rowarth
Boycott John Burton (firm, Bennett, Boycott, Orme & Goodman), solicitor & commissioner for oaths, & clerk to the magistrates, Public hall
Boyle Samuel & Daniel, builders, High Lee
Boyle John G. stone mason, Spring Bank
Bradbury John, shopkeeper, Bridge street
* Bradbury Joseph, beer retailer, Thornsett
Braddock Matilda (Miss) & Joseph Kirby, drapers, 33 Market street
Braddock Joseph, general dealer, Meal street
Brassington William, fruiterer, 21 Union road
Brayne John Wm. Ward, chemist & druggist, 36 Market st
Broadhurst Thomas & Samuel, wheelwrights, Hague Bar
Broadhurst John, shopkeeper & wheelwright, Low Leighton
Broadhurst William, contractor, Brown Brow, Beard
Brocklehurst Matthew, farmer, Broadhurst Edge, Whitle & Golden Springs
Broom Richard, boot & shoe maker, 70 Market street
Broome Sarah Ann (Mrs.), butcher, Meal street
Bromilow Joseph, George hotel, 72 High street
Brown Abraham, solicitor & registrar of county court, Public hall
Brownhill George Henry, White Hart inn, High street
Bull Richard, insurance agent, Church road, Beard
Burgess Henry, inspector of police, Police station, Hall st
Burgess Joseph, monumental mason, Hyde bank
Butler William, farmer, Beardhough, Whitle
Caddington Anthony, farmer, Brownhill, Ollersett
* Calico Printers' Association Limited (George Wayne, manager), Thornsett
Campbell Walter & Co. engravers to calico printers, St. George's road
* Castre Andrew, farmer, Carr Nook, Thornsett
Chadwick Elizabeth Hannah (Mrs.), tripe dresser, 35 Market street
Chapman William L.R.C.P. & L.R.C.S.Edin., L.F.P. & S.Glas. surgeon, Rock villa
Chatterton Thomas, slater & plasterer, Torr Topp street
Clayton George, grocer, Torr Topp street
Clayton Ralph, painter, see Alsop & Clayton
Collier Brothers, auctioneers & valuers, 90 Market street
Cooper Eliza (Mrs.), shopkeeper, Torr Top street
Cottam Margaret (Mrs.), Commercial inn, Hague Bar
Crabtree Joshua, confectioner, 17 Union road
Craddock Ellen (Mrs.), Little Mill inn, & frmr. Rowarth
Critchlow Harry, news agent & vendor, 30 High street
Croft Alfred, boot & shoe maker, 21 Market street
Crossland Jsph. frmr. Fox inn & Brookbottom, Hague Bar
Crossley Harry, painter & decorator, 56, 58 & 60 High st
Crossley Janet (Mrs.), tobacconist, 77 High street
Croxall Samuel, umbrella repairer, Torr Top street
Dalton E. & J. & Co. Limited, glass & emery cloth manufacturers, Albion emery mills
Davenport Ernest Newton, solicitor (firm, Johnsons), 38 High street
Dearnaley Ann (Mrs.), baker & confectioner, 84 High st
Dyer Thomas, hair dresser, 41 Market street
Dyer William, hair dresser, 71 High street
Eaton Annie (Mrs.), boot & shoe repairer, 81 High street
Eaves Florence (Mrs.), milliner, 14 Union road
Elliott Alfred, insurance agent, Church road, Beard
Ellis David, householder, 82 High Lee road
Etchells John James, Queen's Arms P.H. Union road
Evans Seth, reporter to "Glossop Advertiser", 34 Union rd
Fernaley John, farmer, Beardhough, Whitle
Flint Millicent (Mrs.), draper, 19 Union road
France Richard, hair dresser, 44 High street
France Robert, tripe dresser, 47 Market street
Free Library (Miss Emma Stafford, librarian), Public hall
Freemasons' Lodge (Peveril of the Peak) (Thomas Hibbert, tyler), 18 Union road
Froggatt Abner, farmer, Matley Moor, Rowarth
Frost Edward, dentist, The Rocks
Garlick Joseph, farmer, Redditchshaw farm, Whitle
Gee John Thomas, auctioneer, insurance agent & land agent to W. H. G. Bagshaw esq. High street
Gell Walter, beer retailer, Hague Bar
George Alice (Mrs.), butcher, 19 Market street
Gibbin James, shopkeeper, 107 High street
* Gibson Walter, farmer, Weathercoates, Thornsett
Goble Richard, Hare & Hounds P.H. Low Leighton
Goldthorpe Samuel, grocer, 82 High street
Goodman John, farmer, Briar grove, Slack, Rowarth
Graham George, tailor, Spring Bank
Griffin Harry, Pack Horse P.H. Boar lane, Whitle
Grundey Margaret (Miss), dress maker, 54 Market street
Grundey William, Hare & Hounds P.H. & farmer, Hollins Moor, Rowarth
* Hadfield James John, yarn bleacher & sizer, Garrison bleach works, Thornsett
Hadfield Mrs. householder, Hall street
Hall Levi, farmer, High hill, Ollersett
Hall John, farmer, near Slack, Rowarth
Hall Samuel, tinplate worker, Meal street
Hall William, farmer, Hollinghurst Head, Ollersett
Hallam Thomas, farmer, Tanpits, Whitle
Hallworth Henry, farmer, Ollersett
Hammond James, grocer, Church road, Beard
Handford John (Mrs.), farmer, Matley Moor, Rowarth
Handford Joseph, farmer, Boald, Beard
Hanna Thomas, saddler, 3 High street
Harrison John, shopkeeper, Church road, Beard
Harrop Joseph, hosiery manufacturer, 2 High street
Harrop Kate (Mrs.), butcher, 51 Market street
Hartle Arthur, farmer, Eaves Knoll
Hawley Jesse, grocer, 85 High street
Hibbert Daniel, farmer, Lane Side farm, Rowarth
Hibbert John, householder, Hall street
Hibbert Thomas, joiner, Market street
Higginbotham John, ironmonger, 20 & 22 Market street
Higginbotham Mary (Mrs.), grocer, 26 High street
Higginbottom George & Edwin, manufacturing chemists, Salem chemical works
Higginbottom Eliza Ann (Mrs.), draper, 40 High street
Higginbottom James, palisade & ornamental iron gate maker, Beard
Higginbottom John Charles, shopkeeper, 25 Market street
Higginbottom Sarah Ellen (Mrs.), tobacconist, 64 Market st
Hill Isaac, greengrocer, 7 Union road
Hill James, cotton wick manufacturer, Beard mill
* Hill Samuel, shopkeeper & butcher, Thornsett
Hill Walter, confectioner, 22 High street
Hill William Francis, cotton wick manufactr, Beard mill
Howard George & James, painters & plumbers, Rock st
Howard John William, grocer & draper, Post office
Howard Richard, farmer, Beard
Howard William, farmer, Beard
Howe Wright, Sportsman's Arms P.H. Strines
Hudson John & Sons, contractors, Low Leighton
Hudson Charles, farmer, Piece farm, Ollersett
Hudson David, farmer, Ollersett
* Hudson Elizabeth (Mrs.), Printers' Arms P.H. Thornsett
Hudson John, farmer, Howcroft. Beard
Hudson John William, farmer, Ollersett
Hudson Sarah Ann (Mrs.), farmer, Gibhey, Ollersett
Hulton Ellen (Mrs.), confectioner, 103 High street
Hunters (The Teamen) Limited, grocers, 49 Market street
Ingham Brothers, drapers & milliners, 45 Union road & 19, 21 & 23 High street
Ingham James Anthony, hatter & clothier, 1 Union road
Jackson Isaac G. watch & clock maker, 74 Market street
James George F. furniture dealer, 3 Union road
Johnsons, solicitors, 38 High street
Johnson Charles Frederick, solicitor, see Johnsons
Johnson Joseph, pawnbroker, 78 High street
* Jones Lavinia Barbara (Mrs.), beer & wine ret. Thornsett
Jordan & Bowden, solicitors, 16 High street
Joule John Martin, farmer, Shaw farm, Hague Bar
Jowett Charles, solicitor & commissioner for oaths, 50 Market street
Kirk Oswald, Grapes P.H. 105 High street
Leach Annie (Mrs.), grocer, Bridge street
Lee J. & R. coppersmiths, Union road
Lee Craven, farmer, Rowarth
Leigh Rt. Wm. stationer, printer & bookseller, 52 Market st
Linotow Yarn Co. Limited, linen yarn spinners, Torr mills
Livesey Alfred, Railway hotel, 59 Market street
Livesley Alfred & Son, pharmaceutical chemists, 69 High street & 13 Union road
Livesley Timothy & Sons, butchers, 92 High street
Livesley Charles H. draper, 88 High street
Livesley John T. ironmonger, 12 Union road
* Livesley Samuel, farmer, Willhey farm, Thornsett
Lockwood Thomas, coal merchant, Beard
Lomas Dinah (Mrs.), shopkeeper, Eaves Knoll road
Lomas Joel, watch & clock maker, 30 Market street
Lomas John, farmer, Hague Bar
Lomax Joseph Dale, grocer, 44 Market street
Longson James & Son, ironfounders, Midland iron works, Beard
Lowe Esther (Mrs.), shopkeeper, Station road
MacAlva Richard, hair dresser, Torr Top street
Mackenzie John Ronald C.E. engineer & manager of Urban District Gas Works
Manchester & County Bank Limited (branch) (Henry Barber, manager), High street; draw on Union of London & Smiths Bank Limited, London E C
Marchington Sarah (Mrs.), farmer, Hedgley, Whitle
Marsden Alwin, cab proprietor, 37 Union road
Marsh Louisa (Mrs.), shopkeeper, Torr Top street
Marshall Herbt. Overlee, Ollersett (letters via Birch Vale)
Marshall William, insurance agent, Church road, Beard
Mawdsley William J. butcher, Chapel street
Mellor Elizabeth (Miss), draper, 26 Market street
Miller & Co. grocers, 23 Market street
Milne Eleanor (Mrs.), Cock inn, 109 High street
Moorcroft George H. farmer, Ringstones, Rowarth
Morton Sarah (Mrs.), farmer, Lane End, Beard
Mosley Joseph T. butcher & pork butcher; wholesale & retail pork butcher; home cured hams, bacon, lard & sausages, 2 Union road
Mottershead John Henry, pork butcher, 13 High street
Mower Thomas, relieving officer to Hayfield union, 45 Market street
Murray James, baker & confectioner, 42 Market street
Murray Mary (Mrs.), draper, 40 Market street
Nadin Thomas, baker, 32 High street
Nall Samuel B.A., M.B. & D.P.H.Camb., M.R.C.S.Eng. surgeon, 50 Market street
Needham Joseph, farmer, Gibhey, Ollersettt
New Mills Coal Co. (Norman Hyde, proprietor), coal merchants, 30 Union road
New Mills Conservative Club (James Sumner Pollitt, sec.), 20 Union road
New Mills & District Liberal Association (Thomas Stafford, sec)
New Mills Equitable & Industrial Society Limited (Henry Turner, manager), 7, 9 & 11 High street & 2, 4, 6, 7 & 9 Market street & (No. 1 branch) * Thornsett
New Mills Liberal Club (Thomas Stafford, sec.), Hurst Lea, Union road
New Mills Urban District Council Gas Works (John R. Mackenzie C.E. engineer & manager)
New Mills Water Works (Tom Bowden, manager)
New Mills & Newtown Cricket & Athletic Club Co. Lim. (Arthur Grundy, sec.), 16 High street
Ollerenshaw John James, butcher, 86 Market street
Ollersett Coal Co. Limited (J. Ramsbottom, manager), Ollersett
Orme John Henry (firm, Bennett, Boycott, Orme & Goodman), solicitor
Parrott jun. & Sons, fruiterers, Market street
Parsons Edward, assistant overseer, Market street
Parsons William, boot & shoe maker, 58 Market street
Pearson Samuel, hsehldr, Beard ho, Church rd, Beard
Pennington James, shopkeeper, Spring Bank
* Phethean John & Co. Lim. bleachers, Bate mill, Thornsett
Phillips Edwin, farmer, Hague Fold
Platt George, collector to the Urban District Council, 24 Union road
Pogson Fred & Sarah Jane (Miss), drapers, 5 Union road
Pollitt James Sumner, solicitor, 32 Union road
Pollitt Joseph, clerk to the Urban District Council & accountant & surveyor, Public hall
Porritt Charles, butcher, Low Leighton
Porritt John William, shopkeeper, Church road, Beard
Potts Joseph, grocer, 69 Hall street
Potts William, grocer, 66 Market street
Pownall Ann Jeane (Mrs.), farmer, Further Slack, Rowarth
Proctor Tom, cab proprietor, 6 Rock street
Pryor Millicent (Miss), district nurse, 28 Union road
Public Hall (Joseph Pollitt, sec)
Ravenscroft George, plumber, Chapel street
Redfern Alfred Isaac, builder & contractor, Spring Bank
Richardson James, toy dealer, 12 High street
Richardson Thomas, clog & patten ma. 74 & 76 High st
* Ridgeway John, shopkeeper, Thornsett
Ridgway John William, shopkeeper, Bridge street
Roberts Alfred James, pork butcher, 24 Market street
Roberts Leah (Mrs.), shopkeeper, 8 High street
Robertson William, shopkeeper, 79 High Street
Robinson John, Dog & Partridge P H
Roe Arthur, builder & contractor, see Sellers & Roe
Rowbottom John Charles, beer retailer, Market street
* Rowcroft George, farmer, Feading Hey, Thornsett
Rowcroft James, farmer, Whitle
Royle Joseph, beer retailer, 76 Market street
Rumney E. B. & Co. Limited (branch of the Calico Printers' Association Limited), calico printers, Watford Bridge
Sandham Richard, farmer, Napkin Piece, Whitle
Savings Bank, open on saturday from 5 p.m. to 7 p.m. (Henry Barber, actuary), Public hall
Sayer John, cabinet dealer, 55 & 56 Market street
Scattergood & Warrington, joiners & builders, Beard
Scott George Harry & Co. Limited, drysalters & india rubber manufacturers, Hague Bar
Sellars Joseph, tailor, 46 Market street
Sellers & Roe, builders
Shaw Alfred, fruiterer, 53 High street
Shawcross Mary Ellen (Miss), stationer, 53 Market street
Sheard William Curwen, sanitary inspector & inspector of canal boats & surveyor to the Urban District Council, Public hall
Shepley Eli, hatter & draper, 9 & 11 Union road
Shepley Thomas, shopkeeper, Hall street
Sherratt Samuel, lodging house keeper, 102 High street
Sidebottom Elizabeth (Mrs.), confectioner, 25 Market st
* Sidebottom Joseph, farmer, Ladygate farm, Thornsett
Simister Emma (Miss), draper, 6 High street
* Simms Edward, farmer, Thornsett Hey farm, Thornsett
* Simms Edward, jun. farmer, Francis farm, Thornsett
Skelton John William, schoolmaster, Hall street
Slater Isaac, butcher, Market street
Smith Henry, agent to Midland Railway Co. Beard terrace
Smith John, coal merchant, Beard
Smith Samuel, Crown hotel, 34 Market street
Snaith Mary Jane (Mrs.), china dealer, High street
Stafford T. W. & Son, ironmongers, 27 Market street
Stafford & Wyatt, clothiers & ladies' outfitters, 82 Market st
Stafford Elizabeth (Mrs.), draper, Chapel street
Stafford Elizabeth (Mrs.), farmer, Beard hall (letters via Furness Vale)
Stafford John, farmer, Piece farm, Ollersett
Stafford John Thomas, farmer, Whitle
Stafford Joseph, farmer, Whitle
Stafford Obadiah, stone mason, High Lee
Stafford Thomas, farmer, Knightwake farm
Stafford Thomas Arthur (Mrs.), dress maker, High Lee
Stafford Thomas William, builder & contractor, Daisy Bank
Stansfield Jonathan, beer retailer, Bridge street
Stephens Thomas, beer retailer, Strines
Storer Wright, farmer, Broadhurst Edge, Whitle & Rowarth
Street John Edward, boot & shoe dealer, 78 Market street
Strines Printong Co. (John Campbell Gray, manager), calico printers, Strines
Swindells John William, builder, Church road, Beard
Swindells William, fried fish dealer, 31 High street
Taylor Thomas, shopkeeper, 91 High street
Thompson Alfred, farmer, Matley Moor, Rowarth
Thornley Frederick, printer, 47 Union road
Thorpe Joseph, farmer, Hague Fold
Toovey Clement, confectioner, 29 Market street
Turner Henry, manager to Co-operative stores, Hall st
Victoria Chemical Co. (Hargreaves Pollard, proprietor), chemical manufacturers, St. George's road
Victoria Market Hall, 32 Market street
Wain Peter, householder, Hall street
Walker Arthur, solicitor & perpetual commissioner, clerk to the guardians & assessment committee of Hayfield union, superintendent registrar of Hayfield district & solicitor to New Mills Urban District Council, 4 Spring bank
Wallace William, tailor, 14 High street
* Wardle James, farmer, Blakehall farm, Thornsett
Waterhouse Thomas, farmer, Post office, Rowarth
Wells William, jun. watch & clock maker, 48 Market st
Wharmby John Thomas & Sons, confectioners, 88 Market st
Wharmby Edmund, grocer, 57 Market street
Whitehead Alfred, commercial traveller, 51 Spring bank
Whitlock James, farmer, High Rowarth
Wild Jesse, plumber, Torr Top street
Wild William, commission agent & registrar of births, deaths & marriages for Hayfield sub-district, Public hall & Springfield house
Williamson James, beer retailer, 101 High street
Williamson Reuben, quarry owner, Ollersett
Wilson Francis, farmer, Brookbottom, Hague Bar
Wood George, estate agent, 2 Spring bank
Wood Joseph, shoe maker, 28 High street
Woodward George, farmer, Longe Lee, Rowarth
Woodward Sampson, farmer, Low Leighton
Woodward William, farmer, Whitle
Woolley Bold, shopkeeper, 18 Market street
Woolley Edward, farmer, Lower Hague
Woolley Jonathan, farmer, Ollersett
Wright Frederick, hardware dealer, Torr Top street
Wyatt Ada (Miss), see Stafford & Wyatt
Wyatt Edwin Henry, smallware dealer, 61 High street
Wyatt Henry, architect, 50 Market street
Wyatt Jane (Mrs.), milliner, Market street
Wyatt John George, oil merchant, High street
Wyatt John Henry, farmer, Ollersett
Wyatt John William, shopkeeper, 6 Spring bank
Wyatt Joseph, butcher, Church road, Beard
Yates Edward, brass founder & mechanical engineer, Torr Top street

KELLY'S DIRECTORY, 1904 --- ENTRY FOR NEWTOWN,
transcribed by Roger Bryant, January 2014 (mistakes in the original have not been corrected)

NEWTOWN is a populous village, formed in 1894 into a parish, and transferred to the county of Derby from Disley, Cheshire, under the "Local Government Act, 1894", but still ecclesiastically attached to Disley; it has a station called "New Mills", on the Manchester, Stockport and Derby section of the London and North Western railway, and is 8 miles from Stockport and 10 south from Glossop. A bridge, erected in 1884 by the New Mills Local Board, connects Newtown with that place, and this village is within that Urban District. It is in the Knutsford Parliamentary division of the county of Chester, High Peak hundred, Hayfield union, Chapel-en-le-Frith and Buxton county court district, and petty sessional division of Chapel-en-le-Frith. There is a Wesleyan chapel here, erected in 1868, and seating about 800 persons. The manufacture of cotton and paper is carried on here. The area is 121 acres of land and 5 of water; rateable value, £6,322; the population in 1891 was 1,163, and in 1901, 1,520.
Post & M. O. O., S. B. & A. & I. Office.---James Wharmby, sub-postmaster (Letters for this place should be addressed, Newtown, near Stockport). Letters through Stockport arrive at 6.30 a.m. & 3.35 p.m.; dispatched at 10.45 a.m. & 3.15 & 8 p.m. Nearest telegraph office is at New Mills, quarter mile distant
Wall Letter Box.---Swan hotel, cleared at 6.50 p.m. week days only
Public Elementary School (mixed & infants), erected in 1877, for 280 children; average attendance, 233; John Philip Hinde, master; Miss E. B. Stansfield, infants' mistress
Railway Station (New Mills), John Mills, station master
PRIVATE RESIDENTS.
Dalton John, Waterloo house
Dixon George, Axholme
Drinkwater Thomas
Godward Edward, Cliff house
Hawthorn Mrs. John
Liddell John Pemberton, Campsie
Lowe William Scowcroft
Mather John Henry, Albert house
Rowbottom Francis
Sheard Curwen, Stoneleigh
Whitehead Alfred, Albion house
Williamson Samuel Lowe, Glenside
Willoughby Frank S. The Beeches
COMMERCIAL.
Beesley Robert, carrier
Bennett John, blacksmith
Berry Mary (Mrs.), milliner, dress maker & draper
Bowden Sarah Ann (Miss), confectionr
Bramhall Alexander, shopkeeper
Bramwell John, saddler
Brunswick Mill Co. Limited (The), cotton spinners & doublers (Edwd. Godward, managing director)
Brunt David, butcher
Bullough Hy. mgr. at Lowe's mill
Croft Alfred, boot & shoe maker
Dalton J. & E. & Co. Limited, glass & emery cloth manufacturers
Dixon Benjamin, beer retailer
Domakin Samuel, shopkeeper
Drinkwater Thomas M.R.C.V.S. veterinary surgeon
Flemming Sarah (Mrs.), confectioner
Fletcher Matthew, boot & shoe maker
Florry Samuel, wood turner
Ford William, coal merchant
Froggatt George, beer retailer
Great Central Railway Co.'s Canal (Joseph Swindells, agent)
Green Mary (Miss), milliner, dress maker & draper
Griffin Thomas, shopkeeper
Grove Mill Paper Co. Limited, paper manufacturers (Walter Porritt, managing director), Grove mill
Hallam Samuel, coal mer. & grocer
Harrop John, rope & twine manufactr
Hawthorn John & Co. engineers & iron founders
Higginbottom Edwin, ironmonger, cycle maker & house furnisher
Higginbottom John Henry, draper
Higginbottom John Matthew, grocer
Hill Jacob, greengrocer
Hinchcliffe Benjamin, shopkeeper
Hinde John, schoolmaster
Howarth, Wright & Co. bleachers & finishers
Hunters (The Teamen) Lim. grocers
Hyde John, coal merchant
Hyde John, news agent
Lomas Robert Henry, Swan hotel
Lomas William, baker & confectioner
Longden John William, beer retailer
Lowe Wm. Scowcroft, cotton spinner & manufacturer
Marriott Joseph, pork butcher
Mason Henry, joiner & carpenter
New Mills Equitable & Industrial Co-operative Society Limited (branch) (Henry Turner, general manager)
New Mills High School for Girls (Miss Edith E. Boughey, principal)
Oliver Wm. Henry, insurance agent
Plant Hannah (Mrs.), baker & confr
Pott James & Son, medical herbalists
Pott & Swindells, rag & waste mers
Powell John James, insurance agent
Richardson George, grocer
Ridgeway William, glass & china dealer
Rowe Henry, dentist
Rutherford William, steam laundry
Saville James, grocer & beer retailer
Saville Joseph, carriage proprietor
Schofield John, cycle maker & dealer
Simister John, hair dresser
Smith Joe, coal merchant
Stanway John, greengrocer
Swindells John, wheelwright
Swindells Mary (Mrs.), farmer, Potters Hey
Warksmoor Mill Co. cotton spinners & manufrs. & cotton band manufrs. (Richard Garside, proprietor)
Wharmby James, stationer & news agent, & post office
Whitaker Joseph, photographer
Whitaker Thomas, butcher
Whitehead Alfred L.R.C.P. & L.R.C.S.Edin. surgeon, Albion house
Wild John, beer & wine retailer
Wild John, insurance agent
Wild Joseph, greengrocer
Williamson Samuel Lowe & Son, wheelwrights
Wood Ann (Mrs.), beer retailer
Wood Daniel, candlewick maker, Victoria mill
Wood Edward, boot & clog maker
Wood George, boot & shoe maker
Wyatt Dennis & Sons, millers (water) & corn merchants